The school

8.Music schoolOpened in 2013, the KTMP Music School occupies a modest five-story shophouse building in the heart of “70 Rai,” one of the largest and most centrally located slum areas in Khlong Toey.

This is a safe, positive space where children can let their creativity flourish while they make new friends, have fun and set out on the wonderful journey of music.

Volunteer instructors currently teach private or small group lessons in guitar, ukulele, bass, keys, drums and voice on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Flute and other instruments are also sometimes taught. Saturday afternoons are devoted mainly to rehearsals for KTMP’s two bands, one for the younger students and another for those with more experience. The atmosphere is relaxed, but lessons and rehearsals are taken seriously.

1743631_968813726467623_5957118283539364796_n (1)1779290_807070742641923_614116850_n (1)10001561_836096636406000_6875863710120203488_n

Formal music theory is taught in small doses, but KTMP emphasizes rock, pop, folk, soul, reggae and jazz as opposed to classical music. The children are taught how to respond to one another in the context of a band, and ongoing performances at events encourage them to do their best. Up to 30 kids are in attendance on Saturdays, with around 15 who are firmly dedicated at any given time.

10726596_933951893285748_880544338_n 10525927_894905583858438_5284087849138317445_n1551495_934636163218713_2812877141212532280_n (1)

In addition to the regular music lessons, rehearsals and recordings, the school plays host
to visual arts lessons, workshops, games, birthday parties, shared meals, meetings and video conferencing calls with other PFCF-associated schools from around the world. Being in touch — and even singing along — with other kids in Asia and Africa strengthens cross-cultural awareness on both sides, and it’s a lot of fun!

1782033_10204465997183783_5039466462775717064_n 1800394_931460680201536_6585854782309182716_n (1) 10665746_961957917153204_494943690698018794_n (1)

The school includes two music rooms on the upper floors, both stocked with instruments, microphones, amplifiers and recording equipment that was provided partly by the Wangkanai Company and partly by private donations.

 10850330_970507782963492_506095395_n10534741_911980008817662_2094865767876457023_n

Our monthly rent is 17,000 THB (roughly US $520), 80% of which is covered by Playing For Change Foundation. For the remaining 20% and the additional costs of bills, upkeep, food, instruments and other materials, the Program relies on private donations and fundraising events. Founders and instructors continue to work day jobs to support themselves. If you want to help ensure that there’s a place for kids to learn music in Khlong Toey, please consider making a donation.

The school is set in a 50-year-old building that’s in constant need of renovations. The fifth floor in particular is unusable due to a crumbling ceiling, and there are many other things that need to be improved or fixed to make it a safer and more functional place for the kids. Any kind of help is welcome!


โรงเรียนของเรา

ตั้งแต่ปี 2556 เราใช้อาคารพาณิชย์ 5 ชั้นในใจกลางชุมชน 70 ไร่ในสลัมคลองเตยเปิดสอนดนตรีโดยใช่ชื่อว่า “คลองเตยมิวสิกโปรแกรม”

ที่นี่เป็นที่ที่ให้เด็กๆเจอกับสิ่งแวดล้อมที่ดี สร้างสรรค์และปลอดภัย พวกเขาจะได้พบเจอเพื่อนใหม่ ได้สนุกสนาน และได้เพลิดเพลินไปกับการเรียนดนตรี

ครูอาสาของเรามาสอนกีต้าร์ อูคูเลเล่ เบส คีย์บอร์ด กลอง และร้องเพลงทั้งแบบกลุ่มและแบบเดี่ยว สอนตอนเย็นของวันอังคารและพฤหัส ส่วนฟลุ๊ทและเครื่องดนตรีอื่นๆ เราจะสอนเป็นบางครั้งเท่านั้น  ในวันเสาร์ช่วงบ่ายเราจะทำการฝึกซ้อมรวนกันเป็นวง ตอนนี้เรามีอยู่สองวง วงหนึ่งเป็นเด็กเล็ก วงหนึ่งเป็นเด็กโตที่มีประสบการณ์ในการเล่นดนตรีมากกว่า โดยทั่วไปบรรยากาศในโรงเรียนเราจะแบบเป็นกันเอง สบายๆ แต่เมื่อถึงเวลาเรียนหรือเวลาซ้อม เราจะทำกันอย่างจริงจัง

1743631_968813726467623_5957118283539364796_n (1)1779290_807070742641923_614116850_n (1)10001561_836096636406000_6875863710120203488_n

เราสอนทฤษฎีนิดหน่อยให้กับเด็กๆ เพลงที่ใช้สอนในโรงเรียนเราเน้นแนวร็อค ป๊อป เร็กเก้ แจ๊สและคลาสสิก เด็กของเราจะได้เรียนรู้วิธีการเล่นเป็นวง และจะได้ไปแสดงตามงานต่างๆ เพื่อให้เด็กๆ ได้ใช้ความสามารถนี้แสดงออกให้ดีที่สุด เรามีเด็กๆ มาเรียนในวันเสาร์มากที่สุดถึง 30 คน และในจำนวนนั้นมีเด็กๆ จำนวนประมาณ 15 คนที่สนใจดนตรีจริงๆ

10726596_933951893285748_880544338_n 10525927_894905583858438_5284087849138317445_n1551495_934636163218713_2812877141212532280_n (1)

นอกจากการมาเรียนดนตรี มาซ้อม มาทำเพลง โรงเรียนของเรายังมีกิจกรรมศิลปะ เวิร์คช็อป เกมส์ งานวันเกิด การพบปะ การพูดคุยออนไลน์กับมูลนิธิ Playing For Change จากโรงเรียนอื่นๆทั่วโลก การได้ติดต่อ ช่วยเหลือกันกับเด็กๆ จากในเอเชียและแอฟริกาช่วยทำให้เด็กๆ ได้เรียนรู้ความแตกต่างทางวัฒนธรรมอย่างสนุกสนาน

1782033_10204465997183783_5039466462775717064_n 1800394_931460680201536_6585854782309182716_n (1) 10665746_961957917153204_494943690698018794_n (1)

โรงเรียนของเราประกอบด้วยห้องดนตรี 2 ห้องอยู่ชั้นบนของอาคารซึ่งเราได้เก็บอุปกรณ์ ไมโครโฟน ลำโพงและเครื่องบันทึกเสียงซึ่งได้รับการบริจาคส่วนหนึ่งจากบริษัทวังขนายและอีกส่วนหนึ่งจากผู้บริจาคที่ไม่ประสงค์ออกนาม

 10850330_970507782963492_506095395_n10534741_911980008817662_2094865767876457023_n

Our monthly rent is 17,000 THB (roughly US $520), 80% of which is covered by Playing For Change Foundation. For the remaining 20% and the additional costs of bills, upkeep, food, instruments and other materials, the Program relies on private donations and fundraising events. Founders and instructors continue to work day jobs to support themselves. If you want to help ensure that there’s a place for kids to learn music in Khlong Toey, please consider making a donation.

ในแต่ละเดือนเรามีค่าเช่าอยู่ที่ 17,000 บาท (คิดเป็นเงินประมาณ 520 ดอลล่าร์สหรัฐ) ซึ่ง 80% ของเงินจำนวนนี้ได้รับการสนับสนุนจากมูลนิธิ Playing For Change Foundation ส่วนที่เหลืออีก 20% และค่าใช้จ่ายอื่นๆ เช่น ค่าน้ำ-ไฟ ค่าดูแล ค่าอาหาร อุปกรณ์และวัสดุอื่นๆ นั้นเราต้องพึ่งพารายได้จากการบริจาคและการจัดกิจกรรมระดมทุน 

The school is set in a 50-year-old building that’s in constant need of renovations. The fifth floor in particular is unusable due to a crumbling ceiling, and there are many other things that need to be improved or fixed to make it a safer and more functional place for the kids. Any kind of help is welcome!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s